Thee Oh Sees : Hang A Picture : Putrifiers II (2012)
- 6th studio album
- San Fran band offering up a huge range of styles, but psych rock most frequently.
- Started by John Dwyer as a casual project that developed into something much larger.
- On a lot of best of 2012 lists.
Tyvek : Little Richard : On Triple Beams (2012)
- 4th album
- The band I regret missing at CMJ.
- Aggressive and refreshingly diverse punk rock band.
Warm Soda : Spell Bound (2012)
- One of the first tracks out from the project started by Matthew Melton formerly of Bare Wires
- Very similar vibe to Bare Wires
- Slogan on BandCamp: 'JUST SAY NO to SXSW 2013' referencing Bare Wires' break up.
William J Le Petomane : The Moon King (2012)
- Very hard to Google classic psych rock songwriter from the Netherlands
- I cant find anything really other than a bunch of songs posted on his SoundCloud.
- Goes by WJLP as well.
- RIYL: The Beatles, Old Pink Floyd, Tame Impala.
Kris Orlowski & Andrew Joslyn : All My People Go : Pieces We Are EP (2012)
- Collaborative EP
- Orchestral folk.
Dreamend : My Old Brittle Bones : So I Ate Myself, Bite By Bite… (2010)
Dreamend : The Face On the Tinytype : … And the Tears Washed Me, Wave after Cowardly Wave (2012)
- 4th & 5th full lengths that are more intended to be single double album.
- Very experimental freak folk OR ‘Murder Folk/Haunted Country’ if you go by their description.
- A side project from a member of the enigmatic Black Moth Super Rainbow.
Sufjan Stevens : Lumberjack Christmas/No One Can Save You From Christmases Past : Silver & Gold (2012)
- This is the final and highlight track of this 5 EP, 58 song, Christmas box set.
- This gives him an even 10 Christmas albums full of classics and originals.
- I don't listen to any other holiday music anymore.
Fang Island : Sisterly : Major (2012)
- 2nd album
- Brooklyn via Rhode Island progressive indie rock band
- They write some extremely catchy and immediate anthems.
- RIYL Slam Donahue
Fletcher C. Johnson : Messin’ Up My Mind : Salutations (2012)
- 2nd album.
- One album out in 2010.
Matt Pond : Love To Get Used : The Lives Inside the Lines In Your Hand (2013)
- First album as just Matt Pond
- Formerly of Matt Pond PA
- This is a poppier take on the usual echo-y chamber pop Matt Pond PA was known for.
- His vocals always have a resonant warm quality to them.
- Download the track for free HERE.
Ceremony : The Doldrums (Friendly City) : Rohnert Park
- 3rd album of 4
- Hardcore post-punk rock band from San Fran
DIIV : Doused : Oshin (2012)
- Debut album
- Blend of new-wave, dream pop and even some heavier shoegaze. They have a definite 80’s feel to them.
- Getting huge praise for this album. On a lot of Best of 2012 lists.
- Formerly called Dive
Lou Reed : Street Hassle : Street Hassle (1978)
- 8th solo album.
- This album was shook off the gritty glam rock a bit and took aim at something bigger.
- That's Bruce Springsteen contributing a verse at the end as well. He was in the process of recording his greatest album (in my opinion), Darkness On the Edge of Town.