Tom Waits – Last Leaf – Bad As Me (2011)
- 17th album and 1st since 2004. Album teaser video
- One of the most prolific, innovative and talented songwriters ever.
- First new music since 2006’s triple album release.
- Also an actor.
- Give me his first three albums and a desert island.
Withered Hand - Hard On - Good News (2011)
- Debut full length, but has two previously released EPs
- Neil Young-heavy sound.
- Played SXSW
The Decemberists – Foregone - Long Live the King EP (2011)
- Latest EP featuring extras from The King Is Dead sessions.
- Latest full length, The King Is Dead, was out in early 2011.
- Colin Meloy, leader, said he had initially envisioned this album as a musical.
- distinct folk band that at times brings in some Jethro Tull sounds
- Headlined the NPR music stage at SXSW.
- It will be tough to top their last album The Hazards of Love.
- Debut EP
- Garnered a lot of hype at this year's SXSW
The Strange Boys - Punk's Pajamas - Live Music (2011)
- 3rd full length.
- debut full length was The Strange Boys & Girls Club out in 2009)
- in the same vein as the Black Lips… lo-fi mash-up of 60’s/70’s rock, old r&b and punk.
Deer Tick - Chevy Express - Divine
- 4th album
- The leader of Deer Tick, John McCauley, has been working on the Middle Brother collaborative project recently and making some brilliant music there.
- This is their first new recording in about 2 years as their 3rd album was recorded during the sessions for their 2nd.
- The is the first single from the forthcoming album and has an easier feel that is more reminiscent of Middle Brother than the older Deer Tick stuff.
The Loom - With Legs - Teeth (2011)
- 2nd album.
- 6 piece
- Layered folk that is reminiscent of Iron & Wine and Horse Feathers.
- Adeptly weaves together male and female lead vocals.
ARMS - Heat & Hot Water - Summer Skills (2011)
- 2nd album
- Harlem Shakes' member Todd Goldstein.
- The song Tiger Tamer from their debut album is a brilliant track
- SXSW Performer
White Denim – No Real Reason -
Takes Place In Your Work Space EP (2011)
- Latest EP and possibly some of their most mellow work to date.
- 5th album just came out. They are continually changing their sound and evolving.
- They did an Impromptu album of demos last summer: Download for free right now!
- Played SXSW
Holiday was their debut and still their best.
- Playing the Rock Lobster in Indy Wednesday, June 29th.
Ryan Adams – I See Montsers (Live) – Love Is Hell (2003)
- Originally released as two EPs.
- This is my much preferred amped up electric version of this track that I thought I had lost forever!
- Latest album, Ashes and Fire, is just out.
Bear & Moose - I'm Back - Bear/Moose (2011)
- Debut double album.
- Guitar and drums duo.
- RIYL: The Heartless Bastards
Kurt Vile - Downbound Train - So Outta Reach EP (2011)
- Latest release. 4th LP was out earlier in 2011.
- dreamy pop rock with vocals that bring up thoughts of Devendra Banhart
- like Iron & Wine, cut his teeth with lo-fi recordings… this shows up more on ‘God is Saying…’
- Side project from The War on Drugs' lead guitarist.
- Played SXSW, but had some of his equipment stolen before I saw him play and that limited him significantly. Hoping he makes up for it at the P4K Fest!
Turf War – Summertime Booze – Years of Living Dangerously (2011)
- Debut album
- Produced by Ian St. Pe’ of the Black Lips.
The King Khan Experience - Bob Log Stomp - The King Khan Experience (2011)
- Latest solo album. Been a long time coming.
- Long time collaborator with Marc Sultan (AKA the BBQ Show)
- One of my all-time favorite artists. The Supreme Genius of King Khan and His Shrines is one of the greatest albums.
- This one is in all German I believe.
Futurebirds - Nearsayerfive (eddiethewheel cover) -
Holiday Road Super Single (2011)
- Forthcoming tour only single.
- Debut full length was out in 2010 and called
's Lullaby. Hampton
Cloud Nothings - No Future/No Past - Attack on Memory (2011)
- Band led by 20 year old from
- Brooding, building track that starts like a Pixies song then explodes into something like that found on a raucous Nirvana track, or some other early 90's grunge act.
Dirty Beaches - Lone Runner - Lone Runner/Stye Eye Single (2011)
- Dark, slow burning psych rock.
- RIYL: The Black Angels,
, Nick Cave Puerto Rico Flowers.
- Leftover Halloween show track.