Black Keys – Lonely Boy - El Camino (2011)
- 7th studio album already!
- Their 5th & 6th albums had a much more polished sound to them, this track gives me some hope for the return of their early rough blues sounds.
Tom Waits – Raised Right Men – Bad As Me (2011)
- 17th album and 1st since 2004. Album teaser video
- One of the most prolific, innovative and talented songwriters ever.
- First new music since 2006’s triple album release.
- Also an actor.
- Give me his first three albums and a desert island.
Turf War – For The Last Time – Years of Living Dangerously (2011)
- Debut album
- Produced by Ian St. Pe’ of the Black Lips.
The Strange Boys - Omnia Boa- Live Music (2011)
- 3rd full length.
- debut full length was The Strange Boys & Girls Club out in 2009)
- in the same vein as the Black Lips… lo-fi mash-up of 60’s/70’s rock, old r&b and punk.
Deer Tick - Let's All Go To The Bar - Divine
- 4th album
- The leader of Deer Tick, John McCauley, has been working on the Middle Brother collaborative project recently and making some brilliant music there.
- This is their first new recording in about 2 years as their 3rd album was recorded during the sessions for their 2nd.
- The is the first single from the forthcoming album and has an easier feel that is more reminiscent of Middle Brother than the older Deer Tick stuff.
Guided By Voices - The Unsinkable Fats Domino - Let's Go Eat The Factory (2011)
- First album with the recently reunited 'classic lineup' since 1996!
- I have been kicking myself for a week now that I've realized I've missed a rare chance to see this band live!
- The prolific Robert Pollard's primary outfit.
- This is one of my favorite songs of all time. I play it about once a year on here.
Bombadil - Laundromat - All That the Rain Promises (2011)
- 3rd album.
Band. North Carolina
- Catchy folk pop/rock
13ghosts - Dr. Bill -
of Bottle Flies (2011) Garland
- 6th album. 3 EPs as well.
- Dark, building folk
Brown Bird - Fingers To The Bone - Salt For Salt (2011)
- 2nd of two EPs. Both out in 2011.
- Layered, darker folk rock that is like a slightly less amped up version of the Builders and the Butchers.
Wild Flag - Glass Tambourine - Wild Flag (2011)
- Debut full length
- Rock outfit led by Carrie Brownstein, formerly of Sleater-Kinney.
The Duke Spirit – Everybody’s Under Your Spell - Bruiser (2011)
- 3rd Album
- 2nd LP was
Neptune, 2008. Debut was Cut Across the Land, 2004
- 2 EPs as well… 2003 and 2007
- Pretenders/ yeah yeah yeahs/Nico
The Black Belles - What Can I Do? - What Can I Do? Single (2011)
- Debut album.
- Dark/noir style blues rock from the all-female Third Man Records' group.
The Decemberists – Burying Davy - Long Live the King EP (2011)
- Latest EP featuring extras from The King Is Dead sessions.
- Latest full length, The King Is Dead, was out in early 2011.
- Colin Meloy, leader, said he had initially envisioned this album as a musical.
- distinct folk band that at times brings in some Jethro Tull sounds
- Headlined the NPR music stage at SXSW.
- It will be tough to top their last album The Hazards of Love.
The National - Twenty Miles To NH Part 2 (The Philistines Jr.) - If A
Lot Of Bands Play In The Woods... (2011)
- Compilation of covers for the Philistines Jr. 2010 album If A Band Plays In The Woods…
- Sounds like a great National original.
The Loom - A Song of Faint Praise - Teeth (2011)
- 2nd album.
- 6 piece
- Layered folk that is reminiscent of Iron & Wine and Horse Feathers.
- Adeptly weaves together male and female lead vocals.
NewVillager - Shot Big Horizon - NewVillager (2011)
- One of a couple singles they have out.
- No full length out yet.
- Eclectic dance pop that makes me think of Yeasayer quite a bit.
- 'Rich Doors' was their first single out and a great track as well.
The King Khan Experience - Hammer Ich Vermisse Dich - The King Khan Experience (2011)
- Latest solo album. Been a long time coming.
- Long time collaborator with Marc Sultan (AKA the BBQ Show)
- One of my all-time favorite artists. The Supreme Genius of King Khan and His Shrines is one of the greatest albums.
- This one is in all German I believe.