The Head and the Heart – Rivers and Roads - The Head and the Heart (2011)
- Debut album.
- Folk rock that amps up into something like Mumford & Sons who exploded last year.
- Didn’t hear about a band more from this past SXSW.
Black Lips – The Lie –
(2011) Arabia Mountain
- 6th album.
- One of the most fun bands to listen to and see live.
- Sloppy garage rock.
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks – Senator – Mirror Traffic (2011)
- Forthcoming 5th album with the Jicks.
- Leader of Pavement, one of the pioneering bands of independent music.
- His fourth album, Real Emotional Trash is one of the best albums of the 2000's
- Debut albumof 3.
band… psyched out 70's blues rock. Cincinnati
Bon Iver –
– Bon Iver (2011) Perth
- 2nd album.
- Had one of the most critically acclaimed debuts in the past ten years.
- Led by Justin Vernon, formerly of DaYarmond Edison.
- powerful live performer.
- Playing the Murat Theatre Monday July 25th
J Mascis - Circle - Several Shades of Why (2011)
- Latest solo album.
- Dinosaur Jr. leader.
- Eddie Vedder-esque vocals.
- Played SXSW and was a major surprise.
- This is from the DayTrotter Session he just recorded.
Horse Feathers – Finch On Saturday - Words Are Dead (2008)
- Debut album of 3.
- If you like this band check out Rosemont Family Reunion
- Blown away by live performance…again! The same could not be said for Iron & Wine. They have abandoned what got them where they are.
Dawes - If I Wanted Someone - Nothing Is Wrong (2011)
- 2nd album out yesterday.
- Led by Taylor Goldsmith, who is also 1/3 of the folk supergroup Middle Brother.
Country Mice - Festival - Twister (2011)
- Debut album
- Folk rock outfit that formerly went by We Are Country Mice.
Roadside Graves - Love Me More - We Can Take Care of Ourselves (2011)
- Forthcoming 4th album.
- Very well received 3rd album.
- Remind me a good deal of Lucero and their bar room style of rock/southern rock.
Cults – Go Outside – Cults (2011)
- debut single
- Download it for free right now!
- More electronic than I usually go, but when I do I set the ‘catchiness bar’ extremely high. I thought this met the criteria.
- Played SXSW
Holas - Halos for
- Winter (2011) Sale
- Debut album.
alt-rock band that enjoys plenty of distortion and a heavy stark sound. Indiana
The Felice Brothers – River Jordan – Celebration,
- 3rd album of 3.
- popped up on so many best of lists in 2008 with their debut.
- best description I’ve came across for this song/band is Dylan with singing lessons and playing with the spirit of
- Big, warm, and satisfying album that rambles along nice.
KhanWood Clarke - Old Gunga Din (Demo) (2011)
- Newest project from King Khan!
- One of my all-time favorite musicians teaming up with a couple other folks for this traditional country band.
- Think Johnnie Cash.