Bon Iver – Towers – Bon Iver (2011)
- 2nd album.
- Had one of the most critically acclaimed debuts in the past ten years.
- Led by Justin Vernon, formerly of DeYarmond Edison.
- powerful live performer.
- Playing the Murat Theatre Monday July 25th
Black Lips – Mad Dog –
(2011) Arabia Mountain
- 6th album.
- One of the most fun bands to listen to and see live.
- Sloppy garage rock.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. – We Almost Lost
(Gil Scott-Heron) - It's A Corporate World (2011) Detroit
- debut full length.
- Their 2010 debut EP garnered them a lot of good reviews.
- Played the White Rabbit Cabaret and were fantastic!
Ty Segall – Goodbye Bread - Goodbye Bread (2011)
- 1st full length on Drag City Records. 6th solo overall.
- Plays all the instruments on the album.
- Just released a T. Rex themed EP of covers for Record Store Day. This release has completely sold me on Ty.
- Huge critical hit.
- Big garage rock here. Think old Black Keys.
- Played one of the loudest, most rockin' sets at SXSW
Alps - Do You Want To Give $$? - Asylum (2011) Napa
- 4th album out back in January
- San Fran garage/noise pop band led by Mike Donovan.
J Mascis - Alone - Several Shades of Why (2011)
- Latest solo album.
- Dinosaur Jr. leader.
- Eddie Vedder-esque vocals.
- Played SXSW and was a major surprise.
- This is from the DayTrotter Session he just recorded.
Dark Mean –
- Dark Mean (2011) Finland
- This full length debut has been in the works since 2007!
- Debut EP out in 2009. Download it from their official site now!
- Sounds a bit like Frightened Rabbit here.
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks – Gardenia - Real Emotional Trash (2008)
- 4th album. One of the best albums of the 2000's if you ask me.
- Forthcoming 5th album with the Jicks is on its way.
- Leader of Pavement, one of the pioneering bands of independent music.
- Playing the Earth House in Indy in October.
Vetiver – Wonder Why - The Errant Charm (2011)
- DC band… found them a couple years ago when These United States got me onto a few other DC bands
- Seems to be a solid scene
- Strokes, Coconut Records and Devendra Banhart fans gather around
Seapony - Dreaming - Go With Me (2011)
- Debut full length.
- West coast surf pop. A genre that has blown up over the past couple years and one I’m usually leery of, but here it seems quite enjoyable.
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - FFunny Ffriends - Unknown Mortal Orchestra (2011)
- Debut album
- Distorted mellow poppy track. Easy to just bounce along to.
- Sons of Stone – The People’s Temple Temple
- Forthcoming debut full length. 3 EPs out.
- Psychedelic garage band out of
that sounds a bit like the Black Angels. Michigan
Slow Down, Molasses - Late Night Radio - Walk Into the Sea (2011)
- 2nd album.
- Harder rocking brand of folk from
. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Viva Voce – The Wondering Soul - The Future WIll Destroy You (2011)
- 6th album… 5th was out last year,
husband and wife duo Portland, OR
- spacey catchy psychedelic rock.
KhanWood Clarke - Dirtiest Girl (Demo) (2011)
- Newest project from King Khan!
- One of my all-time favorite musicians teaming up with a couple other folks for this traditional country band.
- Think Johnnie Cash.
- 7th of 7 EPs
- Heavy rock sound with a bold voice.
- This band makes me think of late 80's and early 90's alternative rock bands.