Lanie Lane – Ain’t Hungry (feat. Jack White) – Ain’t Hungry single (2011)
- One of only a couple singles out from this Third Man Records artist
- Rootsy rock highlighted with punches of Jack White’s signature guitar sounds.
Grouplove – Itchin' On a Photograph - Never Trust a Happy Song (2011)
- Debut full length.
- Self titled debut EP was out last year and blew me away.
- Modest Mouse and Polyphonic Spree had a baby band… not really, but that’s what this sounds like.
- SXSW performer.
We Are Augustines - Headlong Into The Abyss - Rise Ye Sunken Ships (2011)
- Debut full length.
- Consists of two remaining members of the band Pela, Billy McCarthy & Eric Sanderson.
- Pela disbanded after McCarthy’s brother committed suicide.
NewVillager - Say the Code - NewVillager (2011)
- One of a couple singles they have out.
- No full length out yet.
- Eclectic dance pop that makes me think of Yeasayer quite a bit.
- 'Rich Doors' was their first single out and a great track as well.
Frightened Rabbit – The Work (w/ Archie Fisher) - A Frightened Rabbit EP (2011)
- This is a tour-only EP for their current run with Death Cab For Cutie.
- This is one of their greatest tracks, in my opinion. Why hide it away on a tour-only release?
- 4 albums out.
- Organ Fight is their best to date.
- Scottish accent stands out, but there seems to be something more than that to his vocals and make them truly unique.
Kurt Vile - The Creature - So Outta Reach EP (2011)
- Latest release. 4th LP was out earlier in 2011.
- dreamy pop rock with vocals that bring up thoughts of Devendra Banhart
- like Iron & Wine, cut his teeth with lo-fi recordings… this shows up more on ‘God is Saying…’
- Side project from The War on Drugs' lead guitarist.
- Played SXSW, but had some of his equipment stolen before I saw him play and that limited him significantly. Hoping he makes up for it at the P4K Fest!
A. A. Bondy – The Twist - Believers (2011)
- 3rd album.
- solo debut was American Hearts and out in 2007.
- Former Verbena band member
- tons of praise for this effort so far
- Daytrotter session is excellent.
The Strange Boys – Me and You - Live Music (2011)
- 3rd full length.
- debut full length was The Strange Boys & Girls Club out in 2009)
- in the same vein as the Black Lips… lo-fi mash-up of 60’s/70’s rock, old r&b and punk.
Vandervelde - More Than You Can Feel - More Than You Can Feel (2011)
- From his forthcoming 4th album from David Vandervelde.
- ‘The Moonstation House Band’ is his best to date.
- Huge T. Rex sound.
- Just did a collaborative album with Bobby Bare Jr called ‘American Bread’
Megafaun - Get Right - Megafaun (2011)
- Forthcoming 4th album
- Members of this act were in DeYarmond Edison with members of Bon Iver.
- Played SXSW
Young Circles - Love Hitch - Jungle Habits (2011)
- Debut full length. Also 1 EP out.
- Extremely interesting blend of styles. Freak folk, harder alt-rock, electronic and beat driven.
- I think they are at their best on heavier, more aggressive tracks like this.
Ben Folds – Amelia Bright – The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective (2011)
- This is a best of/radio program special release that features a handful of unreleased tracks.
- This is one of my favorite tracks from Folds and I’ve ever had a live recording of it, so I am pretty excited to share this studio version.