Ryan Adams – Lucky Now - Ashes and Fire (2011)
- Forthcoming album.
- This is one of my all-time favorite artists and this is the first song I've really enjoyed in a while. Hopes are high that he'll back off the big label polish.
We Are Augustines - Book of James - Rise Ye Sunken Ships (2011)
- Debut full length.
- Consists of two remaining members of the band Pela, Billy McCarthy & Eric Sanderson.
- Pela disbanded after McCarthy’s brother committed suicide.
The Hold Steady – Stevie Nix - Separation Sunday (200)
- 2nd album.
- Big ass, borderline-punk, rocking anthems that will get you moving.
- Possibly my top all-time live show.
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks – Forever 28 – Mirror Traffic (2011)
- 5th album with the Jicks.
- Leader of Pavement, one of the pioneering bands of independent music.
- His fourth album, Real Emotional Trash is one of the best albums of the 2000's
- Empire Waist - All Night the Calls Came In (2011) Alaska
- 3rd album
- Indie rock along the lines of Pavement
Donkeys - Don't Know Who We Are - Born With Stripes (2011)
- 3rd full length.
- Super catchy rolling track.
- Makes me think of These United States.
- Download a bunch of this music for free from their site!
The Duke and the King - Shine On You - Long Live the Duke and the King (2011)
- 3rd Album… kind of. This one is a
release that pulls from their two previously released import-only albums. US
- Mellow, easy folk on this track that makes me think a lot of some of T. Rex's softer acoustic stuff. Even something slightly fuzzy from Neil Young/Buffalo Springfield or Ben Harper
Wilco – A Shot In the Arm - Summerteeth (1999)
- 3rd album. 8th on its way in September.
- Playing the Murat Theatre Sept 16th!
- Led by Jeff Tweedy after he split with Jay Farrar his Uncle Tupelo (one of the ultimate alt-country pioneer bands) partner.
Blitzen Trapper – Might Find It Cheap - American Goldwing (2011)
- 6th album
- indie folk/rock
- Great example of their folk leaning rolling rock.
Nation is their best album to date. Wild Mountain
- 2nd full length. Debut was out in 2009, Actor.
- Was a member of Sufjan Steven's backing band along with My Brightest Diamond, arguably two of the biggest breakout female artists of the past couple years.
Young Circles - Jungle Habits - Jungle Habits (2011)
- Debut full length. Also 1 EP out.
- Extremely interesting blend of styles. Freak folk, harder alt-rock, electronic and beat driven.
- I think they are at their best on heavier, more aggressive tracks like this.
The Stone Foxes - Serious People - Psycho 7" (2011)
- Latest single.
- 2 full lengths out also. One in 2008 and one in 2010.
Matt Duncan - Summer Song – Summer Song (single) (2011)
- Stand alone single. One full length out as well, Beacon.
- Vintage 50’s and 60’s doo-wop sound.
- Download this track for free at his BandCamp.
Team Me - Me and the Mountain - Team Me EP (2011)
- Debut EP warming the waters for their forthcoming full length debut.
- Norwegian indie power pop that makes me think of the Antlers and the Kissaway Trail.
Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson – Buriedfed – Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson (2008)
- Debut album
- TV on the Radio’s Kyp Malone and Grizzly Bear’s Christopher Bear continue to lend a hand to his work
- His 2nd album was out in 2009, Sound of Fear.
- Had a very hard life prior to these releases.
Ill Fits – Blood and Devotion (2011)
- Brand new band led by U & U favorite Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson.
- Also features members of MGMT, Amazing Baby and
AND they’re apparently friends with Suckers! Can’t get much more cred than that background to start with.
- Sounds more like
that anything. Actually reminds me of Suckers, too. Bowie