Frightened Rabbit - Fuck This Place - A Frightened Rabbit EP (2011)
- This is a tour-only EP for their current run with Death Cab For Cutie.
- This track features Tracyanne Campbell of Camera Obscura.
- This is one of their greatest tracks, in my opinion. Why hide it away on a tour-only release?
- 4 albums out.
- Organ Fight is their best to date.
- Scottish accent stands out, but there seems to be something more than that to his vocals and make them truly unique.
The Mountain Goats – No Children -
- 7th album of 13.
- Their last, 'All Eternals Deck' , was out in early 2011 and one of the best of the year.
- Led by John Darnielle and his unmistakable passionate and powerful vocals.
- Opened for Bright Eyes last Thursday and this was the highlight track.
- About as stripped back as I've played on here.
Ezra Furman & The Harpoons – We Should Fight - Inside the Human Body (2008)
- 2nd album. 3rd is forthcoming.
- One of the most talented and refreshing artists going.
- Played a great, energetic SXSW set.
SEE THIS MAN FRIDAY, AUGUST 19th in Indy for $5!
Langhorne Slim – She’s Gone - Langhorne Slim (2010)
- 3rd full length of 4..
- His self-titled second blew me away.
- the best folk singer/songwriter out there for my money.
- Playing Radio Radio in two weeks for $10!
Yellow Ostrich - Left Behind (Beat Happening cover) - The Mistress (2011)
- Bonus track from their debut full length
- Sounds a bit like the Beatles and the White Stripes and even at times Menomena.
- Very talented vocalist. Uses looping to deeply layer his music.
- Played SXSW
You Can't Win, Charlie Brown - Sort Of - You Can't Win, Charlie Brown EP (2011)
- Debut EP
- Also have a debut full length out entitled ‘Chromatic.’
- Band from
who takes there name from a Charlie Brown cartoon. Portugal
Jim Ward - Broken Songs - Quiet In the Valley, On the Shores of the Darkness (2011)
- A compilation of 3 EPs, the last of which coincided with this release.
- Former leader of At the Drive-In a great post punk band out of
during the late 90's/early 00's. El Paso
- This is about as far from that sound as you can get. Mellow, easy, mostly-acoustic alt country. Think Ryan Adams.
Mister Heavenly - Your Girl - Out of Love (2011)
- 2nd single from forthcoming full length debut.
- the latest in what's becoming a long line of big indie names collaborating.
- Features Nick Thorburn (
Islands/The Unicorns), Ryan Kattner (Man Man), and Joe Plummer (Modest Mouse).
- This track is included on an incredible free Sub Pop Records sampler.
Richard Swift - Bat Coma Motown – The
Atlantic Ocean (2009)
- 4th full length
- Hops from genre to genre
- This track has some serious vintage sounds, Motown in particular, and was released on a primer EP that was filled with similar feels.
Risers – Devil’s Game - Risers EP (2011)
- 2nd EP
- Download it for free from their BandCamp site.
- RIYL: The Twilight Singers.
Twilight Singers – She Was Stolen – Dynamite Steps (2011)
- forthcoming 3rd full length
- Led by Greg Dulli.
- Dulli has also collaborated with Mark Lanegan to release a couple albums as the Gutter Twins.
- The build through out this song is worth the price of the album.
- Whether it’s here or in the Gutter Twins, Dulli is capable of creating deep powerful moods and feelings.
WATERS - O Holy Day Break - Out In the Light (2011)
- Forthcoming debut album. Out 9/20.
- New project led by Van Pierszalowski (previously of Port O'Brien).
Efrim Manuel Menuck - Our Lady of Parc Extension and Her Munificent Sorrows - Plays 'High Gospel' (2011)
- Solo debut from the leader of Godspeed You Black Emporer and Thee Silver Mt. Zion.
- Very eclectic, orchestral blend of styles. Some lean much more electronic than others.
NewVillager - Rich Doors - NewVillager (2011)
- One of a couple singles they have out.
- No full length out yet.
- Eclectic dance pop that makes me think of Yeasayer quite a bit.
- 'Rich Doors' was their first single out and a great track as well.
Ted Nugent - Strangle Hold – Ted Nugent (1975)
- Opening track on debut solo release.
- Was the leader of the Amboy Dukes prior to this release.
- Named the 31st greatest guitar solo of all time by guitar world! Woooo!
My Morning Jacket – Off the Record - Z (2005)
- Probably the most notable
band going. Louisville
- Led by and known for Jim James on lead vocals.
- Seeing this track live made me immediately think of Strangle Hold