Mister Heavenly -
Bronx Sniper - Out of Love (2011)
- 2nd single from forthcoming full length debut.
- the latest in what's becoming a long line of big indie names collaborating.
- Features Nick Thorburn (
Islands/The Unicorns), Ryan Kattner (Man Man), and Joe Plummer (Modest Mouse).
- This track is included on an incredible free Sub Pop Records sampler.
Hollowbelly - Long Road - Punk, Northern and Blue (2010)
- Debut album. Also has a live album out.
- Think Seasick Steve… Rough, raw and heavy
blues rock. UK
Blitzen Trapper – American Goldwing - American Goldwing (2011)
- Forthcoming 6th album
- indie folk/rock
- Great example of their folk leaning rolling rock.
Nation is their best album to date. Wild Mountain
Guided By Voices - Hold on Hope - Do the Collapse (1999)
- 12th studio album of 16.
- The prolific Robert Pollard's primary outfit.
- This one has a much more polished and produced sound to it that most GBV stuff.
- Reunited last year and are playing the Pitchfork Music Fest this year.
TV on the Radio – Wolf Like Me - Return To
(2006) Cookie Mountain
- 3rd album. Released their 5th in April 2011, Nine Types of Light.
- Long-awaited forthcoming album.
- Their 3 main members have done their own projects since their 4th full length came out in 2008.
- Played SXSW
- Pitchfork Music Fest's main headliners.
The Orwells - Under the Flowers (2011)
- Latest single. Presumably on a forthcoming album.
- Debut was out December 2010
- This a big fuzzy mash-up of Ty Segall, Led Zeppelin and the Black Lips
- Cool little Elvis interview clip at the beginning of this one.
Black Lips – Noc-A-Homa –
(2011) Arabia Mountain
- 6th album.
- One of the most fun bands to listen to and see live.
- Sloppy garage rock.
Black Francis – Wheels – NonStopErotik (2010)
- 19th solo album
- Leader of the Pixies.
- AKA, Frank Black, Frank Black & the Catholics and, his given name, Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV.
- Playing a sold-out solo acoustic show at Radio Radio July 25th.
Hanni El Khatib - Dead Wrong – Dead Wrong EP (2010)
- On, both, his debut EP and forthcoming Debut album
- If you love the old Black Keys you will get into this guy for sure!
- Hard, dirty garage blue rock.
Ganglians - Sleep - Still Living (2011)
- Forthcoming 2nd double album due out August 23.
- Slightly beachy, spaced out indie garage rock.
Ryan Adams - Nutshell (
in Chains cover) - Empty Room 7" (2011) Alice
- Latest tour-only release.
- This is a fantastic cover of
in Chains. Alice
- His work has been less than consistent of late, but this track is a great showcase of talents.
The Tallest Man On Earth – Weather of a Killing Kind - Adult Swim Singles (2011)
- Latest release. 2nd album is just out as well.
- This EP is taking off huge behind the featured track ‘Like The Wheel’ which was a bonus track on his last album.
- Swedish singer/songwriter Kristian Matsson
- Powerful voice.
- 2008 self-titled debut was very well received.
Kurt Vile – Baby's Arms - Smoke Ring For My Halo (2011)
- 4th LP.
- dreamy pop rock with vocals that bring up thoughts of Devendra Banhart
- like Iron & Wine, cut his teeth with lo-fi recordings… this shows up more on ‘God is Saying…’
- Side project from The War on Drugs' lead guitarist.
- Played SXSW, but had some of his equipment stolen before I saw him play and that limited him significantly. Hoping he makes up for it at the P4K Fest!
Donovan - Codine - Troubadour: The Definitive Collection 1964-1976 (1992)
- An great collection from one of British folk's creators.
- This track is a Buffy Sainte-Marie cover that was originally released on a demo in 1964.
- Right there with early Dylan if you ask me.
Megafaun - These Words - Megafaun (2011)
- Forthcoming 4th album
- Members of this act were in DeYarmond Edison with members of Bon Iver.
- Played SXSW
Animal Collective - What Would I Want? Sky - Fall Be Kind EP (2009)
- follow up EP to Merriweather Post Pavilion, as album widely considered one of the year’s best.
- This track expands on a sample from the Grateful Dead’s ‘Unbroken Chain’
- When it comes to the nerdiest of the nerdy in the music world, the more a band is ‘different for the sake of being different’ the better they are received and the more they are praised. This annoys me greatly, but these guys seems to always be experimenting without seeming like they are trying to do it to win over critics.
- They have some quite approachable songs and they have some wildly different and potentially off-putting songs. This track is half of each and gives a great representation of what they offer.
tUnE-yArDs - Powa - w h o k i l l (2011)
- 2nd album.
- Debut full length, ‘BiRd-BrAiNs’ was a huge critical success.
- Eclectic, spastic indie pop sound.
- Merrill Garbus is the main brains behind this act.
- This is the best song I’ve heard from her so far.