Link Wray : Comanche : Link Wray & The Wraymen (1959)
- 3rd single.
- Brilliant trail-blazing, distorted electric blues rock guitarist
- Most famous for the song 'Rumble'
- Neil Young, Iggy Pop, Jimmy Page and Peter Townshend all site Link as one of their major influences.
Beck : Devil's Haircut : Odelay (1996)
- 5th album of 12 and his most renown.
- Album also features 'Loser'
- His latest, Morning Phase, was out in Feb 2014.
- This track is the one I thought of immediately after hearing Link Wray's 'Comanche'
David Dondero : This Guitar : This Guitar (2013)
- 9th studio album.
- Highlight album was 2010's # Zero With a Bullet.
- Occasionally brutally self-effacing folk rock.
- Reminds me a bit of Wooden Wand, Neil Young and Mike Doughty.
Damien Jurado & Richard Swift : If The Sun Stops Shinin': Other People's Songs Vol. 1 (2010)
- Collaborative project from the two singer/songwriters.
- Richard Swift most recently produced Pickwick incredible debut album, Can’t Talk Medicine.
- Chubby Checker cover.
The Antlers : Parade : Familiars (2014)
- 5th full length. Set for a July 16th release.
- Mellow, slow-burning, Brooklyn indie rock band.
- Came to prominence in the indie world with the song ‘Two’ on their 3rd album ‘Hospice’ out in 2009.
Willis Earl Beal : Traveling Eyes : Experiments in Time (2014)
- First single from forthcoming 3rd album.
- Also put out 2 EPs of unreleased material in 2014.
- 2nd full length, Nobody Knows, was one of 2013's best albums.
- Debut was lo-fi, unflattering and didn't show off his insanely powerful voice.
- Big time comparisons to Tom Waits.
Goodnight, Texas : A Bank Robber's Nursery Rhyme : Uncle John Farquhar (2014)
- 2nd album.
- Their debut album. A Long Life of Living, was out in 2012
- Featured the excellent 'Jesse Got Trapped In a Coal Mine'
- Great slightly more country brand of folk.
Cotton Jones : Song In Numbers : Tall Hours In The Glowstream (2010)
- 3rd full length of 5. Plus 2 EPs
- Formerly the Cotton Jones Basket Ride
- Catchy, mellow folk with slightly distorted warm vocals.
Bahamas : Stronger Than That : Bahamas Is Afie (2014)
- 3rd album
- Bahamas was one of the highlights for me at SXSW ‘12
- RIYL: Josh Ritter
- Their sound is sweetened so much by the female back up soulful singers.
Hyde & Beast : (and the) Pictures In The Sky : Slow Down (2011)
- Debut Album.
- 2nd album, Keep Moving, was just announced.
- Fuzzed out blend ‘Spirit in the Sky’ & Matthew E White gospel folk rock.
- Spin-off of the band the Futureheads.
Owl John : Hate Music : Owl John (2014)
- Debut solo album from Frightened Rabbit’s lead singer, Scott Hutchison.
- Sounds like Frightened Rabbit + Oasis
Dune Rats : When You're Around : Dune Rats (2014)
- Debut full length
- 3 EPs out as well.
- Sloppy garage, REM-leaning act starting to carve out a name for themselves in a similar way as FIDLAR.
- Tied for best act of CMJ 2012 with the Grizzled Mighty
Step-Panther : Nowhere : Dreamcrusher EP (2013)
- 2nd EP. One full length as well.
- All available on their BandCamp. Some for free.
- Sometimes aggressive, grungy Australian post-punk indie rock.
The Mystery Lights : What Happens When You Turn The Devil Down : The Mystery Lights EP (2014)
- Debut EP.
- Available for however much you want to pay on their BandCamp.
- Dirty, fuzzy, blues psych rock
Blank Realm : Falling Down the Stairs : Grassed Inn (2014)
- 3rd LP
- Jangly, upbeat Australian psych rock.