Craig Finn – Rented Room – Clear Heart Full Eyes (2012)
- 1st single of The Hold Steady’s Craig Finn’s solo debut.
- This seems to have a looser feel than most of what you get from the Hold Steady.
Guided By Voices – Donut For A Snowman - Let's Go Eat The Factory (2011)
- First album with the recently reunited 'classic lineup' since 1996!
- I have been kicking myself for a week now that I've realized I've missed a rare chance to see this band live!
- The prolific Robert Pollard's primary outfit.
Lucero – I Can Get Us Out of Here Tonight – Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers (2006)
- New album due out in March!
- Ben Nichols, lead singer, has been working on solo stuff since this came out.
Deer Tick - Let's All Go To The Bar - Divine Providence (2011)
- 4th album
- The leader of Deer Tick, John McCauley, has been working on the Middle Brother collaborative project recently and making some brilliant music there.
- This is their first new recording in about 2 years as their 3rd album was recorded during the sessions for their 2nd.
- The is the first single from the forthcoming album and has an easier feel that is more reminiscent of Middle Brother than the older Deer Tick stuff.
James Vincent McMorrow - We Don't Eat - Early In the Morning (2011)
- Debut full length.
- This guy's music could pass as Bon Iver's
- He seems to make no bones about his affinity for Justin Vernon… he even titles some of his songs like those of Vernon.
- Good thing I love that sound!
Bon Iver – Towers – Bon Iver (2011)
- 2nd album.
- Had one of the most critically acclaimed debuts in the past ten years.
- Led by Justin Vernon, formerly of DeYarmond Edison.
- powerful live performer.
Robert Pollard - In a Circle - Lord of the Birdcage (2011)
- I've lost count of how many albums Pollard has put out… it's substantial.
- Leader of Guided By Voices who have reunited and are one of the huge names gracing the Pitchfork Music Fest stage.
Guadalupe Plata - Lorena - Guadalupe Plata (2011)
- Debut album.
- Spanish band.
- Incredibly enjoyable Black Keys/White Stripes feel here.
Natural Child - Hard Workin Man - 1971 (2011)
- Big vintage 1970's classic rock sound here.
- A band that I scooped up off a few other best of '11 lists.
Ty Segall - You Make the Sun Fry - Goodbye Bread (2011)
- Latest full length.
- Also released a T. Rex themed EP of covers for Record Store Day. This release has completely sold me on Ty.
- Huge critical hit.
- Big garage rock here. Think old Black Keys.
- Played one of the loudest, most rockin' sets at SXSW
Bare Wires - Don't Ever Change - Don't Ever Change 7" (2011)
- Debut single.
- T. Rex styled, fuzzy, rolling, raunchy 70’s rock.
Cat Power - King Rides By (Manny Pacquiao Charity Version) (2011)
- Reworking of an 1996 Cat Power track that has one of coolest videos to go along with it.
Lana Del Ray - Video Games - Born To Die (2012)
- Debut album that is already getting a ton of hype.
- This is the lead single.
Alexander - Truth (Featuring RZA) - Alexander (2011)
- Solo project from the vocalist of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.
- First single released. Sounds more like a demo it terms of production quality.
- This is an altered version that has a verse from RZA from the Wu Tang Clan laid in.
LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean - This Is Happening (2010)
- 3rd and final album.
- I went to NYC for the first of their final 5 shows and this was the track they opened with. It was pretty incredible.
- James Murphy led outfit
- Band known for successfully tapping into many different genres: dance, rock, indie, disco.
- This one feels like Bowie/Prince/Queen
- They are responsible for what many critics consider some of the greatest songs of the past decade: All My Friends, New York I Love You and Someone Great.