Mark Lanegan - On the Steps of the Cathedral - Here Comes That Weird Chill EP (2003)
Mark Lanegan - Wish You Well - Here Comes That Weird Chill EP (2003)
- EP that led into the release of his 6th and final solo album.
- Man of many projects and styles… most of them dark.
- Initially the leader of
grunge band Screaming Trees. Seattle
- Member of QOTSA
- Collaborations with: Greg Dulli in the Gutter Twins; Mark Lanegan & Isobel Campbell; Soulsavers.
Tom Waits – Hell Broke Luce – Bad As Me (single) (2011)
- 17th album and 1st since 2004. Album teaser video
- One of the most prolific, innovative and talented songwriters ever.
- First new music since 2006’s triple album release.
- Also an actor.
- Give me his first three albums and a desert island.
The Black Angels – Phosphene Dream – Phosphene Dream (2010)
- 3rd album from the ominous psych rockers.
- Formed in 2004 in
- Interesting feel to it… similar to some of the Black Keys more eerie songs
- Debut Self Titled EP was released in 2005. 2nd full length out in 2008
- sophomore album
- great song that fits the holiday… eerie feel
- more accessible follow up to brilliant, but further out there debut
- Go French
Timber Timbre –There Is a Cure - Medicinals (2007)
- Debut album. Released 2 since.
- M. Ward + Bon Iver + Tom Waits’ ‘What’s He Building In There?’
- Eerily cool spooky tracks.
Emperor X – Allahu Akbar –
Western Teleport (2011)
- 5th album.
- Former HS science teacher.
- RIYL: Mountain Goats & Death Cab for Cutie
Black Keys – When the Lights Go Out – Rubber Factory (2004)
- 3rd album
- one of the eeriest songs I’ve ever heard
- latest sounds the most affected by outside/big label influence, but still good
The Kills – Ticket Man - No Wow (2005)
- 2nd album of 4. Latest, Blood Pressures, was out in 2011.
rock duo. Dark, hard rock. Detroit
- The female half, Allison Mosshart is in the Dead Weather with Jack White.
- Played SXSW
The Ghost Wolves - Gonna Live - In Ya Neck (2011)
- Big Black Keys/Kills/White Stripes vibes here.
The Black Belles - Lies - What Can I Do? Single (2011)
- Dark/noir style blues rock from the all-female Third Man Records' group.
The King Khan Experience - I Got Love - The King Khan Experience (2011)
- Latest solo album. Been a long time coming.
- Long time collaborator with Marc Sultan (AKA the BBQ Show)
- One of my all-time favorite artists. The Supreme Genius of King Khan and His Shrines is one of the greatest albums.
Deer Tick - The Bump - Divine
- 4th album
- The leader of Deer Tick, John McCauley, has been working on the Middle Brother collaborative project recently and making some brilliant music there.
- This is their first new recording in about 2 years as their 3rd album was recorded during the sessions for their 2nd.
- The is the first single from the forthcoming album and has an easier feel that is more reminiscent of Middle Brother than the older Deer Tick stuff.
Bombadil - One Whole Year - All That the Rain Promises (2011)
- 3rd album.
Band. North Carolina
- Catchy folk pop/rock
JEFF the Brotherhood - Whatever I Want - Whatever I Want Single (2011)
- 4th album, We Are Champions, was out in earlier this year.
- Jake & Jamin Orrall
- Kraut punk rock. Harder, eclectic rock.
- Played SXSW and they lead singer & guitarist came out into the crowd, right in front of me and played a solo from his knees for me!
- 9th album
- One of Cave’s best and masterfully dark albums
- One of the best received critically albums.
- All about crimes of passion… Stagger Lee is a great un-airable song.
- Cave's latest release was with side project Grinderman.