PAPA - I Am the Lion King - A Good Woman Is Hard To Find EP (2011)
- Led by the drummer for the band Girls.
- Upbeat, a touch beachy and sun-drenched pop and a perfect fit for the end of summer.
Tom Waits – Bad As Me – Bad As Me (single) (2011)
- First single from a forthcoming album. Album teaser video
- One of the most prolific, innovative and talented songwriters ever.
- First new music since 2006’s triple album release.
- Also an actor.
- Give me his first three albums and a desert island.
Young Circles - 2012 - Jungle Habits (2011)
- Debut full length. Also 1 EP out.
- Extremely interesting blend of styles. Freak folk, harder alt-rock, electronic and beat driven.
- I think they are at their best on heavier, more aggressive tracks like this.
Rage Against the Machine - Street Fighting Man (Rolling Stones cover) - Renegades (2011)
- 4th and final album. Comprised entirely of covers.
- One of my all time favorite bands.
- Led by Tom Morello's unmatched guitar work.
Langhorne Slim – I Ain't Proud - When the Sun's Gone Down (2005)
- 2nd full length of 4.
- His self-titled second blew me away.
- the best folk singer/songwriter out there for my money.
- Playing Radio Radio tomorrow for $10!
Kurt Vile – In/Out Blues - Split 7" (2011)
- Latest release.
single with Woods. 4th LP was out earlier in 2011. Split
- dreamy pop rock with vocals that bring up thoughts of Devendra Banhart
- like Iron & Wine, cut his teeth with lo-fi recordings… this shows up more on ‘God is Saying…’
- Side project from The War on Drugs' lead guitarist.
- Played SXSW, but had some of his equipment stolen before I saw him play and that limited him significantly. Hoping he makes up for it at the P4K Fest!
Deer Tick – Miss K. - Divine
- Forthcoming 4th album
- The leader of Deer Tick, John McCauley, has been working on the Middle Brother collaborative project recently and making some brilliant music there.
- This is their first new recording in about 2 years as their 3rd album was recorded during the sessions for their 2nd.
- The is the first single from the forthcoming album and has an easier feel that is more reminiscent of Middle Brother than the older Deer Tick stuff.
Hollowbelly - Shotgun - Punk, Northern and Blue (2010)
- Debut album. Also has a live album out.
- Think Seasick Steve… Rough, raw and heavy
blues rock. UK
Seasick Steve - Party - You Can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks (2011)
- 5th album.
- Has been huge in the
ever since his 2nd album. UK
- Slower style of blues than what he grabbed me with initially.
Peggy Sue - Cut My Teeth - Acrobats (2011)
- 2nd album from
- Dark vibes soak this track and I love it.
The Farewell Circuit - Make It Right - In Our Bones (2011)
- Forthcoming 2nd album. 2 EPs out as well.
- Slightly stripped down piano-led pop
- The music feels like a more serious, somber track on a Death Cab For Cutie album.
Scattered Trees - Love and Leave - Sympathy (2011)
- Debut album
- Power pop that reminds me of a slightly more focused/less jammy Stephen Malkmus.
Tiger Waves - Down Down Down - Only Good Bands Have Animal Names (2011)
- Debut album
- A band that got its start as the two main members corresponded from
and Austin, TX and emailed each other parts of songs and created their sound. Chicago, IL
- Bigger fuzzier rock sounds here. The album also features a lot of lightly acoustic guitar-led songs.
Ezra Furman & The Harpoons – Wild Feeling - Mysterious Power (2011)
- 3rd album.
- One of the most talented and refreshing artists going.
- Played a great, energetic SXSW set.
- The solo set he put on was this past Friday was so different than his normal live show. More intimate and casual.
- He comes off as kind of an awkward guy between songs, but that only makes him more endearing.
- This is how he ended his set. It was raw and impactful and fitting.
- After talking to him on a couple of occasions and seeing him 4 times now, I can't say much better things about any other artist.
Blitzen Trapper – Love the Way You Walk Away - American Goldwing (2011)
- 6th album
- indie folk/rock
- Great example of their folk leaning rolling rock.
Nation is their best album to date. Wild Mountain
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks – Share the Red – Mirror Traffic (2011)
- 5th album with the Jicks.
- Leader of Pavement, one of the pioneering bands of independent music.
- His fourth album, Real Emotional Trash is one of the best albums of the 2000's