Bon Iver –
, WI – Bon Iver (2011) Minnesota
- 2nd album.
- Had one of the most critically acclaimed debuts in the past ten years.
- Led by Justin Vernon, formerly of DaYarmond Edison.
- powerful live performer.
- Played the Murat Theatre Monday July 25th
Phil Collins – The Roof Is Leaking – Face Value (1981)
- Debut solo album.
- Album also features what’s probably his biggest solo hit, ‘In the Air Tonight.’
- A lot of what Bon Iver has done reminds me of Genesis, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel.
The Mountain Goats – This Year - The Sunset Tree (2005)
- 9th album
- How have I not played this track before??? One of my all time favorite songs.
- Their last, 'All Eternals Deck' , was out in early 2011 and one of the best of the year.
- Led by John Darnielle and his unmistakable passionate and powerful vocals.
- Opening for Bright Eyes next Thursday!
Bright Eyes - From A Balance Beam - LIFTED or The Story Is In the Soil, Keep Your Ear To the Ground (2002)
- 4th studio album of 9 as Bright Eyes
- He has also released 2 solo albums and a brand new Bright Eyes album, The Peoples' Key.
- One of the best SXSW shows. 2+ hours, under the super moon, fireworks and $1 tacos!
The War on Drugs – Baby Missiles – Slave Ambient (2011)
- 2nd full length. 3 EPs out also.
- This is a reworking of a previously released track.
- Kurt was formerly the lead guitarist for them.
Yellow Ostrich - Mary (Alternate/bonus track) - The Mistress (2011)
- Debut full length
- Sounds a bit like the Beatles and the White Stripes and even at times Menomena.
- Very talented vocalist. Uses looping to deeply layer his music.
- Played SXSW
- Latest album out from this newest Robert Pollard-led band.
- One of the most prolific recording artists you’ll ever find.
- Robert Pollard = Former Guided By Voices front man and Indie Rock hall of famer
Pixies - Cactus - Surfer
- 2nd album
- Led by Frank Black/Black Francis.
- He played Radio Radio and blew the sold out crowd away.
- About as important of a band as you'll find in music history.
- Only We Can Keep You From Harm - Young Von Prettylips EP (2011) Buffalo
- Debut EP
- A dark chant-like track with an upbeat indie-pop center.
- The darker side of this song reminds me a ton of the dark and scary band Esben and the Witch.
The Features - Rambo - Wilderness (2011)
- 3rd full length.
- This album seems a but more edgier and harder than their previous work.
- Debut out in 2004. 2nd out in 2009. Released two other EP's in there
- Kings of Leon fans can definitely find something here.
- 2nd full length.
- ‘A Thousand Eyes’ is a great track off their debut EP, out in 2008.
- Harsh, aggressively paced vintage sound, but that’s what they are going for and that’s what will draw you in.
- They sound like a more serious version of King Khan, not that King Khan’s immense talents aren’t serious.
Kay Kay And His Weathered Underground - Diggin' - Introducing Kay Kay And His Weathered Underground (2011)
- 2nd full length.
- Big variety of styles on this album. From beachy and mellow to the more eclectic sounds of Sgt. Pepper's Beatles.
- 7th full length. As the go on their music seems to be gradually less manic and erratic.
- ‘Church Mouth’ is my favorite album.
- RIYL The Raconteurs/Jack White/Brendan Benson
The Brute Chorus - I'm Gonna Shake Your Treehouse Down (Live bonus track) - The Brute Chorus (2009)
- Debut album. 2nd album out last year, How The Caged Bird Sings.
- Slightly raucous blues/folk
band with distinct vocals. UK
- 2nd full length. Debut was out in 2009, Actor.
- Was a member of Sufjan Steven's backing band along with My Brightest Diamond, arguably two of the biggest breakout female artists of the past couple years.
The Hold Steady – Girls Like Status (Bonus track) – Boys & Girls In
- 3rd album.
- ‘commercial breakout’ their real break out was the album preceding ‘Separation Sunday
- Big ass, borderline-punk, rocking anthems that will get you moving.
- Possibly my top all-time live show.
Dillinger Four - Portrait of the Artist as a Fucking Asshole - Midwestern Songs of the
- Debut album of 4.
- American punk rock band.
- You can really hear their sound in the Hold Steady's music.